Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Networking for shy people – a case study

Last week I had the chance to attend a great networking event, filled with just the kind of people I need to meet, in a place I need to be.   I haven’t done any networking in quite awhile simply because I have a very limited childcare schedule this year.  And I haven’t missed it.  Not one teensy weensy bit.  You see, I like walking into a sea of strangers just slightly less than I like being chased by rabid dogs, having an appendectomy without anesthesia, or eating pickled chicken feet with wasabi. 
A few days before the event, I stopped by to see my friend Pete Albert, of Pete Albert Photography, in his new studio.  I shared my nervousness with him, and he offered some advice.  Concerned that he was going to tell me to picture everyone in their underwear, I started to protest.  But he assured me his ideas were better than that.
Pete’s idea, in a nutshell, was to have a game plan.  Here is what he offered:
1.        As soon as you walk in, look for the registration table.
2.       After you register, ask where the refreshment table is.
3.       Head to the refreshment table and get yourself a beverage.
4.       Beverage in hand, scan the room.  Find the one person in the room who looks the most uncomfortable.  (Nope!  Can’t choose yourself!) Go and rescue them.  They will be forever grateful.  And you will have gotten your fist connection out of the way.
5.       Your goal should be to make at least 3 new contacts.  (No, the bartender and the restroom attendant do not count, unless that’s actually relevant to your business).
6.       Offer your card, tell people what you do and then ask them questions about themselves.  Listen to the answers.

And one last thing to remember – “The Exit Strategy”.  When it’s time to move on to the next contact, simply say “It was nice meeting you”, then shake hands and go.  (Without mastering this last skill, you might allow that desperate person to monopolize you all night.)
That’s it!  Seems very practical and simple, right?  I decided to try it out.  Armed with my mission, I was almost excited about the event.  Almost.
I walked in, found the registration table, registered.  I could see the refreshment table so no need to ask.  Drink in hand, I scanned the room and found the most desperate looking person.  I approached him, lost my nerve, and kept going.  Seriously?  That was pathetic.  I got a hold of myself, turned back, and introduced myself to Justin.  Turns out that Justin has just graduated from Towson about…oh I don’t know…about five minutes ago…and he barely even knows the name of the company that employs him, let alone what to do at a networking function.  Who was the genius that sent this guy out to represent the company?  I quickly employed the “exit strategy”.
Next up was John.  John was an absolute tank of a man who made me feel like Thumbelina.  His attitude was one of complete disinterest in not only me, but the whole event.  I wondered why he was there.   He talked a lot about himself and to tell you the truth, he was boring as hell.  I was really beginning to dislike him.  But he did have one good idea for promoting my business and a suggestion of someone in the room that he thought I should meet.  So I went off in search of that person.
Before I could find him, I met another artist, who, like me, is recent transplant from New Jersey.  Cha Ching! Jackpot!  Feeling very much in my comfort zone, I could have talked to him all night.  But alas, he told me it was nice to meet me and then he was gone.
Circling back around the room in search of my next victim, I passed John again and he was talking to the very person I wanted to meet.  Not only that, but when he saw me he pulled me in to the conversation, introduced me and pitched the great idea that has the potential to help my business!  And the other guy liked it!  I take back what I said about John.  We need more people like him in the world.
After that, I had nothing left. It takes so much energy to look confident while feel desperate, seem casual while being calculated, feign interest while feeling bored.  I couldn’t take another minute.    Making a bee line for the coat closet, I felt satisfied that I had done what I’d set out to do.  Having a game plan helped me to not only survive the event, but navigate the room with a level of confidence I didn’t have before.  It’s definitely a work in progress, but now I’m actually looking forward to trying this out again!





No comments:

Post a Comment