Search This Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Procrastination and the Fear of Failure

So…I have this project I’m supposed to be working on, but…
I’m not really working on it so much, ya know?
I volunteered to paint a chair for an upcoming community charity event.  I’ve had this chair in my possession since early December.  But then the holidays came, which is all month long around here.  And then it’s so hard getting back on track in January, right?  The planning my daughter’s birthday party, all that fuss over the groundhog….and well, choosing the perfect Valentine’s cards is a lot of work and of course nobody works on Presidents’ day do they?  I mean, if you’re really patriotic and all.  And don’t forget the weather – weather is important.  Lot’s of snow days this year to mess with my schedule and now it’s so nice out you just can’t stay inside.
And so…the chair is not quite finished.  And it’s not because I’m lazy.  Oh no!  Far from it!  I’ve done lots of other work in that time from small paintings to full room murals.  So what is it about this chair?
Well, a very timely email landed upon my inbox the other day and the subject was “the fear of failure”.  After reading it (how could I possibly work on that chair when I have this very important article to read?) I realized exactly what the problem was; I would rather savor the enjoyment of imagining how great this chair could look than face the reality that it might not turn out quite as I had hoped.
Oh yes, I have dreamt about this chair – my most magnificent work yet - earning the highest bid at auction!  Could reality possibly live up to that?  Well, maybe.  But not if I don’t finish the darn thing. 
So, I gave myself a reason to finish!  After reading that oh-so-irritating little article, I learned that it is our attitude about failure that determines whether or not we fear it.  So, I can be someone who is embarrassed by my failures or I can be someone who is proud of myself for trying.  I decided to be the latter.  I decided that overcoming the fear is a success in and of itself. 
Just think how many great works of art, inventions, innovations, medical breakthroughs and just plain old good ideas would never have come to be if people hadn’t tried due to fear of failing!  Surely my painted chair barely registers compared to some of those.  A bad painting, should it come to that, is a small price to pay.
And now I am focused on finishing this darn thing!  Which is a convenient way of thinking since I've already committed to having it done by March 1st.  Wish me luck!  Pix coming soon!

Is the fear of failure holding you back?  What does it keep you from doing?  What other fears are getting in the way of your success?  I’d love to read your comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment